Have you ever heard of a salad coming from an Island called Sicily?
For me it’s one of the best salads in the world and I would like to share with you the recipe of “Pantesca Salad” (or if you want a taste of my language too… “Insalata alla Pantesca”)!
- 1 handful of capers (I don’t like capers (“capperi” in Italian) but they are in the original recipe… so it’s your choice!)
- 2 handfuls of black olives (with stones)
- 1 red onion (we use onions from Tropea, the best quality we havehere in Calabria. The taste of Tropea onion is almost sweet and you can find it in a huge variety of Italian dishes)
- cherry tomatoes
- dried oregano in abundance
- salt / pepper (if you like pepper)
- extra virgin olive oil
How to prepare this fantastic salad:
- Peel the potatoes and boil them or cut them into little/medium-sized cubes and put them to boil in salted water (not too much salted… just a little bit of salt!);
- chop the onions, quite finely (but not to much), into strips and place in a bowl with the vinegar… let rest for about 30 min or more;
- cut the tomatoes, into halves if you are using cherry tomatoes (they are very small) or in quarters if you choose medium size tomatoes, add them to the onions and put in the capers as well;
- when the potatoes are boiled, drain them and wait a few minutes before adding them to the rest. Season with plenty of oregano, salt, pepper, extra-virgin olive oil and the olives;
- mix well and “BUON APPETITO” 🙂
Secret tip: the salad tastes even better if you let it stay in the fridge for a few hours before eating it, because the flavours will mix properly! 😉